A Month of Fundays

A New York Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers and other stuff blog.


AdLeaf Free Advertising
Your Ad Here
Your Ad Here

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Giants Start Mini-Camp

Here we go with the Shurmur Era.  This morning it was revealed that the Giants have been engaged in Ereck Flowers trade talks.  Couldn't hut.  Still need to find a right tackle, unless Wheeler took advantage of his year in and NFL weightroom.  But let's talk a little bit about Shurmur and this class of QB's. Shurmur comes to the Giants with a well earned reputation as a QB whiz. Before you get to excited, Fassel did, too.  Anyway, you might reasonably think that, knowing Eli can't play forever, even with a rebuilt line, that Shurmur would be allowed to pick his guy.  Shurmur has talked about what he wants in a QB, and I guess if there is someone like that there at 2, it would be understandable for the Giants to go for it.   I'd rather do something else, because I'm not crazy about these QB's, and think the more intriguing guys are outside that top 4 group of Allen, Rosen, Mayfield and Darnold.

Of those, I favor Darnold, who I saw lots at USC, but was better as a Sophomore than as a junior, though might really benefit from spending a year or more learning behind Eli.

Rosen has the concussion issue, but a great arm, and with his tennis background, should be more mobile in the pocket than he is.  If the medicals are clean or comparable to everyone else's, he could be a great project for Shurmur.

Allen is the best athlete of the bunch and has the biggest arm with the best velo (like Davis Webb).  However; Allen's completion % was below 60% and who knows if even a QB whisperer like Shurmur could fix that.

Finally, there is Baker Mayfield, who is just 6' but has big hands and good velocity.  He's also quick in the pocket and good at finding his windows.  That said, he has alreay lost a QB competition to Davis Webb so who knows what the Giants think of him.

Anyway, it seems like Sam Darnold is the cleanest of these guys but I'm sort of expecting him to go to Cleveland at #1.   And I'd still rather have Saquon Barkley than any of these guys.

12 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger Rich said...

I have thought for a long time they want Darnold. I agree I don’t think he will be there.

If they take Barkley, in effect they have been telegraphing their punch, so that would say something about how they operate going forward.

I will be in Florida, so I won’t be able to watch the draft, but I check out most sports on my phone anyway.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

Mayock's Top 100 was released. Barkley is one, Nelson is 2, Chubb is three, and the first QB is Darnold at 7. Rosen, Mayfield and Jackson are down in the 20s. Allen is also top 10, I think.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Rich said...

I like Jackson, not at 2.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

Didn't have good velo at the combine and that won't work in Giants stadium.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Rich said...

Two questions:

Do Josh Allen’s racist tweets knock him out of the 1st round?

If the NYG do want Barkley, what do they do if the Browns take him at 1?

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Rich said...

Again, my pick would be Darnold. I don’t think it will happen, I will be pissed and blame John Mara because I think he’s a short-sighted jerk, but I will accept it. I’m a powerless fan.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

If that's what Shurmur wants, he'll probably get it, provided he's there. What is it you see in Darnold that makes him worth the #2 pick? What I see in Barley and Nelson is the best two players in the draft.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Rich said...

It’s based on:

1) Position: I fear a return to Brown/Graham/Collins (to a lesser extent), or a Cousins-like contract. It’s hard to predict the pace of decline for a QB Eli’s age, and I don’t think the talent around him is strong.

2) Darnold’s previous season.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

Have you reviewed the success rates of junior entry QB's? Think Mark Sanchez, also from USC. By the way, I like Darnold, and will accept him, but I think he should have stayed in school another year. And he has an Eli-like nock for throwing picks. He will take off and get postiive yards even though he's not fast.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Rich said...

No, so noted, but I saw this;

... 2 of 11 QBs from third round from previous 10 years are real starters. Too big a risk to put most important position on an 18% (25-30% if generous) bet.

——

So that has to weighted as well.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Weighed

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Rich said...

@JordanRaanan
Trade still seems to be on table for #Giants after talking to sources. Still view Saquon Barkley and Bradley Chubb as leaders in clubhouse if they make No. 2 pick. Darnold the wild card

 

Post a Comment

<< Home