A Month of Fundays

A New York Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers and other stuff blog.


AdLeaf Free Advertising
Your Ad Here
Your Ad Here

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Trading Osi?

On Twitter, ESPN's Chris Mortenson said it was 60-40 that the Giants would trade Osi Umenyiora during the upcoming draft. While I doubt they will, they need to at least get a second and fourth round pick for Osi. And then at two points during they draft, I would expect them to take DE's. Then the question because, would this draft class support an Osi trade by the Giants. In other words, would there be two DE's available that could fit the Giant model of DE if Osi was traded. After some research, I actually think the answer is YES. If the Giants trade Osi, they must get two from this group: Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida; Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech; Brandon Graham, Michigan; Jerry Hughes, TCU; Jermaine Cunningham, Florida; and, Lindsay Witten, UConn. They might also consider two talented underachievers in Carlos Dunlap from Florida and Everitt Griffen from USC. There might also be some LB tweeners who fit the mold they like in their DE's. So, though I doubt they will trade Osi, I believe they can do so while also increasing DE depth. Go Giants!

16 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger Rich said...

I hate trading low, and that's what it would be.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

If you can get a two and four for him, it's not trading low.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

Particularly in this draft which I think is very deep. Of course, I doubt they do it.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Rich said...

Do you think that they can get a first a year from now if he returns to being the player he was?

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Phil

Did some more draft charts for the Giants this year. Busy as hell but still had to mess around a little. 5th year in a row!

I only did the OL(s) and MLB. I may do DE later.

Some guys who plot strongly in the "Jerry Reese" zones you might keep an eye on after Pick #15:

OT Roger Saffold
OT Jared Veldheer

OG Jon Asamoah
OG Mike Iupati
OG Shawn Lauvao
OG Marshall Newhouse

OC Eric Olsen
OC JD Walton

I was real happy after Day 1 last year. You remember Will Beatty was a guy I pegged for Rd 2 before the Draft, and we were both SUPER high on Hakeem Nicks. Well, the Saffold kid charts out real close to Beatty and I've seen his name linked to Giants. Lauvau and Newhouse wouldn't surprise on Day 2.

LB

Navorro Bowman
Sean Lee
Brandon Spikes
Travis Goethal
Jamar Chaney
Vincent Rey

Bowman projects more at OLB but he charts dead center of where JR likes them and I think he can play inside. Same with Brandon Spikes. As bad as he's been trashed since that slow 40 at his Pro Day, Spikes wouldn't surprise me at all. Rey from Duke charts very well also and his name has been been linked to the Giants, too.

Should be a fun day. We might not pick as high as #15 again for years...

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting it. They seem fairly deadset on McClain in the first right now, which I don't agree about.

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No sweat.

I'd have no problems with McClain in the middle of our D - if he checks out medically. Still don't think he falls to #15.

But, I like the LB talent a lot in Rds 2-3 if they jump for the impact lineman. Spiller (if he makes it to 15) would be something else in Blue...

mcg

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Rich said...

I hope McClain is drafted ahead of their pick. Assessing LB aptitude has not been their strength.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Rich said...

I think I want the Giants to draft Dez Bryant.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

I want he or Spiller, but I don't think that's what they'll do. I think OL's and DB's will represent the other value areas at our spot.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Rich said...

I'm fine with drafting OL. I think they have a lot of DB, and need more help on the front seven, especially with Osi's status being questionable, the health of their DT, and the LB in a state of flux. So if a DB is the BPA at 15, I would hope they woudl trade down.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

We shall see. Hopefully, Jerry will be able to trade from depth for need going forward. I basically want a trade down if Spiller if gone, but I do usually favor choosing the BPA if a trade down doesn't present itself.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Phil what do you make of MG's report of Osi no-showing workouts b/c of the rumors? You think he is a goner?

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

yup, I think he's gone.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Would you be happy with a 2 and 4 in return?

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

In this draft, sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home