A Month of Fundays

A New York Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers and other stuff blog.


AdLeaf Free Advertising
Your Ad Here
Your Ad Here

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Yanks Eovaldi Learning a Split

New Yankee Nate Eovaldi met with reporters today and revealed his new third pitch will be a splitter!    I think this is always a great idea for guys with big enough hands but are having trouble learning the change.  A split will not only change eye level from Nate's fastball and slider, but it will act as a change too, as it probably won't be in the same velo range.   Back in the old days, guys who couldn't manage a circle change, would pick up a forkball.  This is the same concept and the fork and split are basically the same pitch.   I'm glad that they've abandoned his change rather than break their necks trying to improve it.  Let him deal in filth.

3 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Billy Martin said...

He used it in his final 2 starts last year -- I believe RAB did a breakdown of the pitchFX data from those starts and they were calling it a changeup, however, the movement was significantly different then his other changeups.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am expecting a big year from him, especially with him now pitching to McCann who is an elite pitch framer and way above average at calling a game and developing young pitchers.

The ugprade from Salty to McCann will show but when you add in what should be an elite defense and Rothschild, I think he is going to really take off this season.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great move.

I see 15 wins in 2015 for this kid.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

I have a great feeling about Eovaldi this year, too. I suggested in the facebook group a week or so ago that they should scrap his change for a splitter and I got a lesson in default thinking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home