A Month of Fundays

A New York Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers and other stuff blog.


AdLeaf Free Advertising
Your Ad Here
Your Ad Here

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Yankees Draft Review Part 2: Some Things I Liked

The main thing I liked, beyond the comical nature of all those pitching picks, was that the hitters all had a good approach and good on base skills.  The Yanks have actually gotten better about drafting kids who walk but something happens to them when they get in the system and they start rushing and stop walking.   I'm hoping this big raft of older guys who grind will come in and be a good influence on the rest of the prospects who don't grind enough.   I also like that a lot of them are left handed.

Last time the Yanks won, and about a billion times before that, they had lots of lefties who could hit one over the wall.  Not so much now,  but it's still good to draft kids who will benefit from the park.

I also really liked the first couple of picks.  Lindgren gives us the lefty relief ace we really need to complete a fantastic bullpen.  He had a better K rate in college than Betances has right now.   Now, it probably won't transfer exactly to the bigs, but that is sick.

I like Austin DeCarr a lot, too.  Looks the part, has increasing velo and an improving curve.  The one bugaboo is his changeup and I'm not sure he's coming to the right organization to get it fixed.

I like a bunch of the other pitchers, especially the ones with swing and miss pitches.  Tanaka and Betances are re-teaching us the value of pitchers who can not only keep them off base, but keep them from putting it in play.

I like Mark Payton, but I don't like his positional uncertainty.  I guess you put him in left.   They're finally making O'Brien a first baseman, today,  and we're three seasons into them getting that figured out.

I like Conner Spencer a lot.  He can hit, and takes his walks.  The thing he doesn't do is pull the ball, and that can be taught.  They say he has great hands and is smooth around the bag.

I liked the two other 1B's they drafted back to back, Chris Gittens and Bo Thompson,  they give us power and on base.

And I guess I sort of like that I won't have to worry about who's signing and who's not, this summer.  There's not enough at risk to care about.

4 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Anonymous yankyfan said...

Strange draft for sure but I love the big bodied high velo guys we took. Will hey all pan out ,No but they have upside over just an organizational type pick.Wish we could have taken a chance at Oca but the W Sox took him.I hope we sign De Carr and Hudgins.

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only will they not all pan out they won't all sign either. My guess is about 20 guys sign maybe a couple of more a couple less depending on the money guys through round 10 and slots to fill below that. A big IFA class may push some kids in the DR now state side sooner. No room for all the bodies.

Its hard to even begin to start figuring this out until the signings get rolling.

I know Phil, I'll set up an ID.

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous yankyfan said...

Agreed but I'd put the signed number around 30 .

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

I think they've been signing thirty most of the time since the new rules game in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home