A Month of Fundays

A New York Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers and other stuff blog.


AdLeaf Free Advertising
Your Ad Here
Your Ad Here

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Giants Draft: Final Thoughts

It's finally here. Well, the first round of it, anyway. The new format sucks. The old 1-3/4-7 weekend format was the bomb. Real fans could legitimately be asked to be left alone for most of the waking hours of an entire weekend. It was intense and it was draining. And yes, it was perfect. Boo, this.

The Giants could go any number of ways tonight and over the weekend. They do adhere to BPA more than any other team -- most years -- and this year should be no exception. There's a vast "red chip" area starting in the first round and possibly ending somewhere on day 3. So it's not a draft with a lot of talent that appears elite right now, but it's a deep draft. Teams like the Giants are successful because they can usually make proper distinctions between seemingly red chip players. On the Jerry Reese watch they have blown very few picks, and I expect them to keep getting better at it. Last year I thought we had a monster draft. We haven't seen a lot of evidence of that yet, but Prince, Austin and Jernigan were all great picks and if they're healthy all year, they should make some noise. The 3 6th rounders from last year, and Da'Rel Scott all did some things that were encouraging. And those were the last 4 picks. The first 4 are still to be heard from.

Of the names being bandied about, there are a few I don't believe, like Martin, the OT from Stanford and Hightower the LB from Alabama. Of the guys we could conceivably pick, 2 sort of scare me. They are Coby Fleener and Stephen Hill. I think both could be homeruns, but that Fleener doesn't fit the current system and Hill is raw with problematic hands and feet. Still, either could be the pick, and I'd pretty much trust the Giants if that was the case.

What are my hopes for the draft? I'd like to see us get another power receiver like Jeffery or Sanu, get one or two of the backs I've talked about, get a nasty OL somewhere, get another Giant-type DE with long arms and a quick first step, get a DT with long arms and bulk, and get another Giant type press corner. I'm not as worried about LB and TE as everyone else, but wouldn't be surprised with a TE.

Going over my list, I realize the Giants could probably really clean up with another pick or two. I wonder if they'll try to get them by trading from the roster or trading down.

Should be interesting. Doubt I'll throw the remote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home