A Month of Fundays

A New York Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers and other stuff blog.


AdLeaf Free Advertising
Your Ad Here
Your Ad Here

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Giants Draft: DT's

There is also a chance that the BPA at 32 will be a defensive tackle. The two most discussed have been Penn State's Devon Still and MSU's Jerel Worthy. Of the two, I find Devon Still to be the more Giant-like. Now, don't get me wrong, Jerel Worthy is a big strong guy with upside, but so is Devon Still, and he's taller with just as much projection. What I really like about Still is that he's able to reach out, even when he's engaged with a blocker and make plays. That's quality the Giants seem to love. And I see that in Still.

Now, all that being said, I don't think a DT will be the BPA at 32, and I really wonder if the Giants, having spent their last 2 2's on DT's of the future would now use a 1 on another. Of course, pick 32 isn't really much of a 1, but it will be interesting to see, since the Giants only carry 4 DT's and only have 3 active on game days. So, barring injury that would mean either this year's first rounder or last year's second round steal would be inactive all year. Inefficient. Sub-optimal. And I'd be somewhat surprised if they hit DT with a 1, especially since I don't think Still or Worthy are better or have more upside than Linval or Marvin.

But there does remain a bit of a problem at DT since Rocky Bernard is gone and Marvin Austin hasn't played in two years. Thus, I think the Giants will draft a DT, but one with upside who could stand to watch for a year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home