A Month of Fundays

A New York Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers and other stuff blog.


AdLeaf Free Advertising
Your Ad Here
Your Ad Here

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cold Blooded

Wow. I went out for a long walk after the two 5th rounders and things have gotten much clearer in Ranger land. First we traded our 2012 6th to jump back into the draft and take big Czech Dman Peter Ceresnak, bringing our draft totals to 4 forwards and 2 defensemen. Then Sather announces that not only had Grachev and his agent been asking for a trade out of the organization, but the Blues' third was all they could get for him! Then he reports that he has qualified all of our RFA's except Gilroy!

The message that the Rangers have sent is, if you are not physical and defensively responsible, we will move you. In the past month, they have moved out Werek, Grachev, Horak and now Gilroy. Horak was moved for big value, but the other three were moved on the grounds of disenchantment. What the non-qualifier to Gilroy probably means is that they will grab Richards at the opening of free agency, and take their time with their RFA's, which they can do since most of Redden and Drury will be off by the beginning of the season and they can be 10% above the cap till then.

But Richards does seem like a fait accompli and given the number of their sort of high end forwards they dumped, you have to wonder what their immediate plan for O is outside of Richards and the home growns just getting better. It's clear now, Kreider probably would have made the team. But he's a 2012 arrival now. Thomas is a bit of a long shot, and there's no one else as close who might be elite.

Also, it's interesting that, other than nq'ing Gilroy, they have not traded any of their many young D's. And they added two more today. So that bears watching, I think we might see Kundratek and Big Val go for offense over the summer. It bears watching.

7 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger Michael said...

full transcript of Sather

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/2011/06/glen-sather-talks-about-chris-drurys-future-trading-evgeny-grachev-qualifying-offers

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

Read it already, thanks.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

How did you like the draft. I think they did a very good job again.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Michael said...

You're welcome Phil! I liked the draft myself. I sense a pattern here. No more drafting of the soft finess type players. The want power/grit and skating. I like it. I am particularly interested in watching Noreau develop as I believe he was rated as the best fighter in the draft. I also want to follow Hagarty/St Croix, as I think in a few years we will be seeing them contribute on the big club.

Not sure if I am reading into this today Phil, but the message I got would seem to indicate Christensen and Wolski will be goners, you agree?

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Michael said...

The message of being soft, which would lead me to think EC/WW would be goners. I still think Drury will be bought out and Redden is toast. Like you I feel Richards will be a Ranger, and I think they will be more active in FA then we expect them to be.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Kalel9 said...

I think Christenson and Wolski only go if someone gives on of the RFA's an offer sheet. Especially Wolski, but I think Christenson might just be traded once Richards shows up.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Even if they both stay this will likely be their last year here along with Avery, so we do have money coming off the books next year, and Drury will definitely be done one way or another. I really enjoyed the Gordie interview on Rangers.com he has really turned our system around.

EC could/should be dealt for a pick next year at the very worst

 

Post a Comment

<< Home