A Month of Fundays

A New York Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers and other stuff blog.


AdLeaf Free Advertising
Your Ad Here
Your Ad Here

Friday, June 25, 2010

Rangers Draft Day 2

I broke a bunch of my own rules earlier, and I can't apologize enough. This morning, I explained how this was a red chip draft, then, this afternoon, I objected to the fact that the Rangers drafted a red chip player. And as I further researched Dylan McIlrath, I discovered he has big upside, and a story that makes sense of his development. Needless to say, he only committed to hockey at 15 and has since been voted most improved player on his major junior hockey team two years in a row, and been drafted 10th overall by the New York Rangers. And he's just turned 18. He's been constantly improving, and is not the one dimensional thug I portrayed him as earlier. He's a responsible defender, who plays angles well, and chipped in better than .3 ppg this year for his team. Now, that's not Brad Park or Brian Leetch scoring, but it's a nice contribution from your stay at home defenseman and enforcer.


Apparently, the Rangers had been really tracking Dylan since December, and were seeing him develop before their very eyes. My problem was I had not researched him thoroughly enough while getting ready for the draft, and didn't acknowledge the value of a big defenseman with helium who was rising in the draft. His scouting reports are sort of like those of Cito Culver, if you read one from last year, you were behind the player's development and likely to missproject him. Anyway, the Rangers have been putting off getting a policeman since Jeff Beukeboom's career was suddenly ended. Now we have one for the future.


The Rangers head into day to with 4 picks, a 2, 4, 5, and 7, so job one is to get another pick or two. Job two is to pick up some some scoring. They should be able to get a very good player at 40. And then they have to find ways to get another pick or two before our 4th rounder, because there will be value in the second and third after they use the #40. They've been collecting good prospects over the past few drafts, and they have to continue to do it tomorrow. I'll post the picks, but not until I have a fair understanding of them. Go Rangers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home